Interview with Bruce Thorpeley


Sidesaddles were originally meant for women and allowed ladies to ride in their finest apparel. Though they fell out of favour in the early 20th century, as women fought for equality, those saddles are making a comeback nowadays and many people are rediscovering this way of riding. There is a history of men riding sidesaddle, especially in the aftermath of the First World War, when amputees used them as a means to go on riding. Today, though sidesaddle riding remains a mostly feminine sport, some men ride this way as well. One of them, Bruce Thorpeley, has agreed to answer a few questions. 

A few words of introduction about your equestrian background… 

My great grandfather was a stud groom in 1900. He would have produced as horses for Lady Lampton. I was told I wasn't allowed to ride sidesaddle as I was a bloke. But I trained anyway and I learnt from the best. I took up competing sidesaddle and took a number of championships and national titles. I ride in tweed as per the historic "stud groom," with a brown bowler and brown boots. 

How did you start riding sidesaddle? 

I started sidesaddle when I worked in a showing yard. I trained with Roger Philpott so I could school the show horses. 

Do you prefer riding aside or astride? 

I love astride and sidesaddle equally. 

In your opinion, what is the difference between the two? 

The sensation of riding is the same for me as I am an experienced sidesaddle rider. There is clearly less control on the right side, but for hunting I'm not too worried... 

Are people perplexed when they see you riding sidesaddle? 

Yes. I met with a lot of problems when I first started sidesaddle. But I ride as an old school horseman. I don't do it as any form of equal rights.

Comments

Popular Posts