Guest blog by Gloria Shramm: "Over the Moon for Moon"

Gloria and Moon
                         
I recommend adopting or sponsoring a horse for a rescue organization or horse therapy center because of the intrinsic rewards one receives from having that extra-special bond knowing that you care about a horse's well-being. Adopting a horse is therapy in and of itself and a charitable gesture for the rescue or center, because they are mostly all nonprofit organizations, and you are helping them as well. For those among us who lack the property and means with which to own a horse (or, rather, have a horse "own" you!), adopting a horse for a nominal monthly fee of as little as $25. Additionally, there are other ways to help nonprofits care for horses that otherwise might be neglected, abandoned, abused and sent for possible slaughter, if not rescued, or donated by responsible horse owners. Horse rescue fundraisers get creative. Some offer Valentine's Day one-time small donation of as little as $5. There are also equine baby showers and other ways to participate in one-time events hosted by these organizations, all in the name of caring and loving horses! I find adopting a horse, for me, is the next best thing to having one all to myself and my life is richer for it! I lost my 25 year old son, Erik, fifteen years ago in the month of August, which is also the month in which he was born, so adopting a horse has had even more meaning to me in remembering him and being at peace.

It’s true that horses have a lot to teach us about ourselves. I met Moon when I began volunteering with my husband at HorseAbility, an equine therapy center in Old Westbury, New York. I knew this horse for two years. We sponsored him. Then one day, he was retired, during the pandemic, to an equine sanctuary in Texas. I was able to say goodbye to him and wish him well on his journey. I wasn’t sad because I knew he was going to a place where nothing would be asked of him and he could run free! I’m grateful that the center where I volunteer has provisions for a pleasant departure and future. This 25 year old can now live out the rest of his life in peace.

Moon was assigned to me to groom when I first started there. As a newbie, I was just learning the basics of the curry brush, hard brush and soft brush and what each grooming tool was for. I didn’t yet do the bridle and tacking yet because I was new and at the time, only leaders were assigned to that task.

Moon has an orangey-brown hair – described as chestnut gelding and former trail horse– with a messy mane on top of his head that I loved to play with. Moon had a naturally calm way about him when I groomed him, but I learned that he can fool you! Moon is a sweet, unassuming horse who was docile with my touch and grooming. He’d close his eyes, stand perfectly still and looked very relaxed.

Once, when I leaned on him to hug his body as I was brushing him, I felt him lean into me. I was a little startled at first, but then I read that when a horse leans into you, it means they are responding and hugging you back!

When we were ready for lessons with disabled children we help by side walking, we’d wait in line to be called. Moon always looked over at me as I was standing at his side, probably to make sure it was me. If I pet him and breathed on him, he’d sneeze! And loudly!

I used to feed him apples and mints. Moon was food aggressive. He’d gobble them up and chew everything so quickly with an animated gusto I didn’t see in other horses. Perhaps he was afraid someone was going to take it away from him. Who knew what memory of a former life he brought with him? What bad experiences he may have had that influenced his behavior when it came to food? When I wasn’t looking, he’d nudge my arm or shoulder with his head, to let me know he wanted more. I had to curtail the treats because he would want to swallow them so fast, he’d cough.

The center frowns upon hand-feeding and I can see why. I was asked kindly to cease and instead put the treats in Moon’s bucket. I complied and did that for all the horses.

The first time I greeted him out in the paddock (or corral, as it was once called), he came up to me after I called him and looked so sad. I didn’t hand-feed him. I told him the mints were in his bucket in his stall. He walked away and I felt so sad.

I later found out he doesn’t like other horses. Who knows why. His facial expression changes, he gives a “stink eye” and ears go back when another horse walks passed him. Those in charge at the center put a sweet paint horse mare, Annabelle, in the paddock with him, as the lesser of all evils. She is so passive, she was thought that she wouldn’t annoy him. But we found out that one day Moon bit Annabelle! Annabelle always seemed so timid to me. I knew why. Another time, Moon kicked off some wood trim around the outer edges of his stall! I was told “food aggression.” Maybe someone didn’t feed him fast enough or he was really hungry.

I’m glad I gave him mints, apples and attention because after a while I actually felt sorry for him. This horse needed love. Moon wanted to be the only horse or top banana. I used to find myself wishing I was the one for something or to stand out in life in some capacity or situation. In that regard, I saw myself in him and what needed healing.

Also, my lack of patience and “acting out” when awaiting big events in life that weren’t coming fast enough. Isn’t it a big like Moon, looking to get his next morsel before chewing and swallowing the first? How about being able to “live in the moment?” So this was also a humbling lesson for me, seeing myself in Moon.

While I admired the Triple Crown winner, American Pharoah and first fell in love with him, because I wanted to be like him – a champ but mostly because of his even keel. On the other hand, Moon reminded me more of my weakness and what I wanted to change in myself. It was a humbling lesson that, unbeknownst to me, I’d pick Moon as my choice to sponsor with a monthly donation referred to as an “adoption.” It felt pretty neat adopting a horse! I sense the same beautiful spirit in all horses, even though they are different in appearance – and personality.

When Moon left to go to his retirement sanctuary, because of the abuse Annabelle endured from Moon, we have now adopted her. After the pandemic and when normal schedules resume in the Fall at the equine therapy center, we will get to know her better. I look forward to that time!




Comments

Popular Posts