Why I had my colt gelded

 


As I wrote in a previous article, I have recently found myself caring for two young Dartmoor Hill ponies. One of them is a filly, the other a colt. Last week, I had the colt gelded. It was a no brainer for me that he had to be castrated, and not only because it relieved me of the worry that he might cover my filly, or escape and cover other mares, producing a brood of unwanted foals. In my mind, probably to my equestrian culture (Western European) and the fact that I’ve hardly ever been in contact with stallions, some exceptional (in terms of conformation, performance or bloodline) horses are kept entire for breeding while the others become gelding, and that’s that.

But of course, it’s more complicated. And comments made by some people on my colt made me realise that the castration of horses is not a straightforward decision and that not everyone is comfortable with it. Actually, I almost felt like I was the odd one out not being uncomfortable with it!

The colt being a little feral pony, the result of a herd left to breed uncontrollably, there should have been no interest in leaving him entire. Yet, in spite of being a gawky, pot-bellied yearling, he is a very pretty horse. His conformation leads me to think that he will turn out nicely. He has a nice back, good legs. His head is lovely, with a delicate nose and wide eyes. His colouring is beautiful. And in spite of his wildness, he already shows that he has a very sweet temperament. He is a rough diamond – living up to his name, Diamant! – who I’m sure will turn into a gem of a pony. Quite unlike his sister who, to be honest, has a less attractive morphology and a savage streak to her character. 

Had I left him entire, I’m sure someone would have wanted to breed from him. And if he had any papers, a genealogy, or any kind of “value” in terms of genetic heritage, it might have been a good idea not to castrate him, due to his attractive looks and good temperament. But he has no “value.” He’s just a little feral pony who happens to be pretty. Like there are thousands and thousands of pretty little horses who would, if left entire, pass on nice traits to their offspring. Thousands and thousands of pretty little horses who, in the end, are better off being gelded. 

One of the reasons is that there are, all over the world, more horses than people who want them. Overbreeding is a real problem. The race-industry that produces and discards thousands of horses is a culprit. “Backyard breeders” who breed foals for no other reason that they want to and that they can are another. There are others of course. And, added to that, there are all the horses that for one reason or another – because they’re too old, wounded, too dangerous to handle – become unwanted. The market is saturated and too many of those horses end up being slaughtered. 

But why not keep colts entire and simply not breed them? That would spare them a painful mutilation. But what sort of life would those colts have? Locked away and unable to normally interact with other horses. Driven crazy by their hormones. Yes, some people do manage to keep stallions in decent conditions. Well-behaved stallions exist and in many countries of the world, keeping stallions is the norm and people know how to handle them. But to achieve this, you need the right experience and facilities, as well as appropriate training for the horse. And I, like most people where I live, do not have those available. 

In a way, if you have no intention to breed, gelding a colt is the easiest solution. I was able to witness the castration of mine, which was a first for me, and very interesting. It was a quick, straightforward procedure that did not appear to overly traumatise my yearling: he got up very quickly, in spite of the sedation, and though he was a bit uncomfortable on the day, he was very cheerful by the next, was eager for food and seemed to have forgotten all about it. 

I do not believe he realises what he’s missing. It would be anthropomorphism to think he feels degraded or that he would have wanted to remain entire. He did not even seem to be in pain after the first hours after the operation. And now, he is living his life as he did before, eating, playing with his sister, from whom he would have had to be separated otherwise, and adjusting to his new life as a domestic pony. 

I feel that the saying “a good colt makes a great gelding” is true. And in a way, castrating your colt saves all his potential – and not necessarily desired – offspring from a dire fate. 

Comments

Popular Posts