Christmas ride

 


Christmas morning dawned bright and clear, pink skies bathed in golden light. Being, like so many people around the world, on my own for the day, I went to the stables early and gave my horse an apple. He was surprised, as I do not usually give him apples first thing in the morning. And in his eyes, this day was just like any other day.

I came back later in the afternoon, to take advantage of the clement weather and go for a ride. It was the first time I was able to ride on Christmas day. But why should that mean anything? To my horse, it was a day just like any other day. And to me it would have been too, if I had not been so conscious that this day was meant to be different. A day for joyful family gatherings. A day to spend with loved ones. Not this year for me. But at least, it was a gorgeous day and I was with my horse. 

We rode through the village. Sparkling lights tried to spread some artificial cheer. The church stood forlorn and deserted. I could not help looking into the windows of the houses and cottages we passed. Insights into different scenes, little snippets of lives lived in parallel to mine. A kitchen sink disappearing under great pile of dishes waiting to be washed after what had no doubt been a splendid feast. A beautiful Christmas tree, smothered in baubles and garlands. A forlorn old lady, switching the channels on her television. A middle-aged man playing the piano, alone. 

We walked back. Was my horse looking at the windows as well? What did he see? Did he perceive the same feelings as I did? Maybe not. For him, this day was just like any other day. What did he care about the symbolism humans attach to it? But did he know that he made this day better for me? I was grateful, so grateful for his presence. 

Horses bring so much into our lives. Friendship and adventure. Comfort and challenges. They ward off loneliness, they carry us further than we could have imagined. They lend us their legs, their strength, their courage. They accept to become one with us. They give a lot to humans, but what do they gain in return? Not much… Humans need horses more than horses need humans. Or rather, than horses should need humans. The way we keep them makes them dependant on us. The relationship they have with us is always imposed on them. 

But I did not really think of that as I rode my horse on Christmas day. I was simply thankful. As I write this on the first day of a new year, I should be making some resolutions for me and my horses. The main one would be to keep them as happy as it can be possible for domestic horses, and as my situation allows. Even if it will not always be easy. Because horses give so much to us, the least we can do is give a little back. Do our research, educate ourselves. And make the best decisions we can. 




Comments

Popular Posts