As the world stands still...



I originally intended to write another article on medieval horses. I intended to go on with this blog as if everything was normal. But nothing is normal anymore. How could I go on as usual when Covid-19 wreaks havoc all over the world… Affecting the health, daily lives, jobs, etc. of so many people. 

Where in the world are you as you read this? Maybe you are lucky enough to live in a very, very remote place in the wilderness, on a farm, with your animals and loved ones all around you. I’m writing this from a flat in Paris. Since Tuesday, noon, the whole of France is confined. Like Italy, like Spain. Like other countries will probably be. 

Like many horse owners in those countries, I can no longer visit my horse. Some will think it’s only a minor preoccupation. And in a way, it is. Others will understand that horrible feeling of emptiness. Horses are more than animals. They’re our companions, our friends. By simply being, they bring light into the lives of those who love them. I will admit it: I’m devastated by the thought of not seeing him for an indeterminate period of time, and I’m realising, more than ever, how important he is for me. Anyway… 

I’ve been spending too much time of the last few days on the internet, anxiously looking at the info given by the government on the terms of the confinement. Looking at how other horse owners were dealing with the situation. Envying those who keep their horses at home. Being furious at those who complain about not being able to ride, or to take lessons, or to take part in competitions, or grumbling because it’s not recommended for them to go on hacks, while they have their horses with them. I don’t care about not being able to ride. All I want is to see my horse. Anyway… 

I saw several posts on Facebook where horse lovers pointed out with glee than now people will understand what it feels like for an animal to be locked up all day long in a cramped stall. They’re very right. And that made me think. Races, competitions, etc. are being cancelled all over the world. These are temporary measures. But cannot they lead to greater changes in the equestrian world? Will the welfare of horses be impacted by this human sanitary crisis? 

It could be impacted negatively. Will human confinement mean that horses will be neglected? Will their health be cared for as well as it should be? Will some people begin to think that horses are just too much trouble? Will others realise that all they want is to ride and compete, not actually care for them? If everyone is confined, who how will rescues and charities be able to function? Who will report cases of abuse and neglect? And what will happen to all the horses who need to earn their living by racing or working (as lesson horses, tourist cart horses, etc. etc.)? 

Maybe it will be impacted in a more positive manner. People could indeed realise that keeping horses in boxes is not humane. They could realise that they can live without horseracing. That competitions are not essential. That there are other ways of having horses in our lives. 

If the right questions are being asked, answers could be found. About the way we need to care for our horses. About why we keep and use horses in the first place. 

Too many horses are being bred nowadays. In the racing industry: too many thoroughbreds and harness racers “fail” and are left to face an uncertain future. Too many amateurs decide to breed their mares, only to end up with foals for which they have no use, no buyer, no interest. Those horses too face an uncertain future. 

So yes, we need to reflect on all that is wrong in the equestrian industry, because there’s a lot that needs to change. We need to take the time to think. On my part, I’ll have lots of time on my hand in the next few weeks… 

I hope these difficult times will soon be behind us. And stay safe, everyone!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts