Interview with Aly Mishak



Being disabled does not mean you cannot ride. Not only are horses gentle and sensitive animals who tend to know intinctively when to take care of their rider, but there are several types of saddle that can help accomodate riders with some types of disabilities. Sidesaddles, for instance. 
In this week's interview, sidesaddle rider Aly Mishak will answer a few questions about the opportunities offered by this type of riding. 

A few words of introduction about you… 

I have been involved with horses since I was young, did some 4H, and was always begging to ride anything and everything. Mountain trail riding is my greatest passion, although driving is becoming a close second. 

How did you discover sidesaddle? 

A former coach, now a friend and coworker had suggested that side-saddle might be an option to look into after I was having more and more difficulty riding comfortably. I had already switched to a gaited horse and treeless saddle/endurance stirrups that helped but was still sometimes uncomfortable. 

How did you learn to ride sidesaddle? 

My friend referred me to a nearby coach that had shown and ridden some side-saddle and had good school horse taught me the basics. It was freedom immediately, the very first day I was comfortable and happy and balanced. I quickly knew I had to have one. I’ve been in the side-saddle for four years and have only recently chosen to give up the cross saddle entirely for comfort, I spent a lot of hours on lots of different horses and I enjoyed instruction and read a lot. I learned, and am still always learning. 

What disciplines do you do sidesaddle? 

I’m generally pretty recreational, doing only local low level shows for fun. I have ridden all over the Rockies in my side-saddle and will do more miles this summer. I’ve jumped a little, tried trail obstacle, some sorting and penning, mounted archery, gymkhana games, Ive picked up a pollocrosse ball although sidesaddles can’t officially play. I’m hoping to pull someone for ski-jouring this winter. Probably more I can’t remember.



What type of sidesaddle do you use? 

I have a western that I rarely use now but believe may be an unmarked Great West or similar, it’s very sturdy but antique and fits the narrow horses. I currently can be most often found in my Rob Jenkins saddle. 

According to you, in what way is sidesaddle a good option for riders with some disabilities? 

Every disability is a little different. Personally my problem areas are my pelvis and left leg. Stretching my legs over a cross saddle even on a narrow horse is uncomfortable at best. The side-saddle prevents this entirely. It also gives more stability to my bad leg which sits in the stirrup and requires very little strength in that position. I can ride comfortably for longer and I dare say my horse probably prefers it as I used to have to weight my saddlebags on my bad side just to keep the saddle centred. I’m so much more balanced. 

A few words of advice to disabled people who would like to try sidesaddle. 

If you are struggling to ride in a regular saddle and still wish to ride, I would encourage somebody to check with a health care professional and consider side (or off-side) saddle. I can’t describe the freedom it gives me but I can look at it and see the endless potential of things I will be able to try because my oversized pony is my very, very best legs.


Comments

Popular Posts